Problem Configuring SLIP

Paul Oddo paulo at durin.sparta.COM
Thu Apr 18 03:27:03 AEST 1991

	Help, I have been trying to configure a slip connection from
my home machine to the office network for TOO long with no success. I
NEED SOME HELP! At home I am running Esix System V R.3.2.D with a SLIP
connection configured on com port 2. Hanging off that is a Hayes
Smartmodem 9600 configured for 9600 bps connections. At work we have a
TCP based (of course) network of Sun Workstations and an Annex II
Terminal Server all on the same ethernet backbone. I have configured
one of the Annex's ports for a slip connection by setting the mode to
slip and the line speed to 9600 bps. This also has a Hayes Smartmodem
9600 attached. I am trying to get a direct connection link. I would
like to be seen as a remote node on the office network. Everything on
the Esix Sys V side seems to be working properly. The modems seem to
connect properly at 9600 and any telnet commands to remote hosts
apparently route packets through the modem. The problem seems to be
getting the Annex II to recognize its slip connection. A netstat -iS
command on the Annex shows no slip interface in use when the modems are
hooked up and no received or transmitted packets in the stats.

	I have tried every different configuration I can think of
including all the suggested configurations from every manual I could
find. Nothing Works. If anyone has had any luck with this sort of
configuration (I know that it cannot be as difficult as it seems)
I would appreciate any and all help in setting up the port parameters
and configuration files. Thanks.

	Send replies to this news group or mail to:
		paulo at durin.laguna.sparta.com

		voice phone: (714) 768-8161