** IPX and VP/ix and WD 8013 problems

Antoni Bronislaw Przygienda aprzygie at iiic.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 9 05:13:02 AEST 1991

Hello,

I have a very specific question concerning the installation of a WD 8013 netcard
with VP/ix to get through to a novell server.

	1) I got one of this new software configured WD 8013 & tried to
          configure it to work with my VP/ix ! I didn't succeed after
          two nights of hard work !!
        2) Can anyone send me a working configuration or answer the
	   following questions:

		a) Do I have to install the UNIX driver for WD8013 in the kernel to
		   get it work on the VP/ix ??
		b) Shall I choose the /dev/wd0 device or the /dev/netcard device to
		   configure it ??
	        c) What are the right major and minor numbers of the wd0 node in
		   /dev directory ?
		d) What interrupt, I/0 & shared memory ranges shall I choose ?

I tried to configure it as netcard (major 38, minor 2, device driver vdi (Virtual
Device Interface, probably ?)) with 2a0-2bf and c8000-cbfff and every interrupt
I found, and the test passed for I/O & memory, but did loose the interrupt when
the card reads somewhere in the kernel, when its 2,10 or higher. With interrupts
3,5 I got a

		ioctl failed
		bad address

during the start of vp/ix !! even when I remove the i/o and memory and only look
for the interrupt as DDA !!! My ipx runs finely, but net3 fails with

                couldn't find a file server

naturally. I'll resume for the group

						tony