ESIX does support RLL, was Re: Does ESIX still not support RLL?

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 29 04:07:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr25.144010.1108 at shambala.uucp> kentkar at shambala.UUCP (Kent Karrer) writes:

>Well, maybe. But about 18 months ago, I asked the people at ESIX to send
>me some product brochures. Within the body of their brocures they specifically
>mentioned that they DO NOT support RLL disk controllers. I also have
>product brochures from other vendors of unix. They specifcally point out
>that they do support RLL. Perhaps it is technically incorrect to refer to
>RLL as a standard of some type however, experience with software seems to
>indicate to me that someone somewhere within the microcomputer community
>has accepted it as a "defacto" standard and therefore I must give it serious
>consideration when choosing what software I purchase.

Which is why I called ESIX' non-support of RLL "marketing hype."  Their
glossy brochures say no.  Their documentation says yes.  Which is true?
The documentation!  At the risk of being redundant, both ESIX 5.3.2.C and
5.3.2.D work fine with my WD-1006 RLL controller.  Others have reported
that it works fine with their Adaptec RLL controllers.

Kaleb Keithley                        kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Meep Meep                             Roadrunner
Veep veep                             Quayle