Smail 3.1...

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Jan 19 04:44:30 AEST 1991

In article <7006 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>I'm having a problem with Smail 3.1.  Smail works just fine except when I
>specify user at site.domain addresses.

>jca at site                        Works ok
>site!jca                        Works ok
>jca at site.domain                 Bombs.  Mailer-daemon comes back with
>                                unknown host.
>Given that site is in my /usr/lib/uucp/paths file.

You must have either have site.domain (exact match) with appropriate
routing in the paths file or .domain (partial match).  An exact
match will route to the site, dropping the domain, while a partial match
will assume it is sending to a gateway and pass on the fully qualified
name.  I.e, if your paths file has "site.domain site!%s" then
user at site.domain becomes site!user, but if you have ".domain gateway!%s"
then it will become gateway!site.domain!user.

The exception is when .domain is your own and your machine must resolve
the subdomain itself, which is done (in the paths routing) by putting the
domain name in a "domain = " entry in the routers entry.  This causes
the matching domain name(s) to be stripped off before the search.

>The operating system being used is ISC 2.0.2.  I have Smail 3.1 compiled with
>the unix-generic drivers.  I have using the same /usr/lib/uucp/paths file that
>worked with Smail 2.5 under SCO Xenix 386 2.3.3.  A smart-host entry is
>defined in the paths file.

>If my machine doesn't talk directly to the machine, it should bounce it to my
>smart-host and have it handle its path.

Smail3 is a very different beast than smail2.5.  For smail3 you need to
define "smart_path" and "smart_transport" in the config file to get
smart-host routing.  If you have a central machine that has  master
aliases or forwarding files for a group of users, you can also define
smart_user to send unresolvable local mail there.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us