utmp problems in AT&T Sys V/386 3.2.2

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.informix.com
Fri Jan 25 07:57:26 AEST 1991

Maybe this is in the FAQ, but I haven't seen one in so long. (Conor,
you out there?)

This is probably something simple and stupid in setting up or using
utmp, but I can't find it offhand.  If I try to run "login" from
an existing login shell (sh or csh), I get the passwd prompt, then
the message:
No utmp entry.  You must exec "login" from the lowest level "sh".

What does it take to fix this?

On an unrelated topic, I found a cause of why my permissions for /etc
kept getting clobbered (thereby hosing ps): the Consensys PowerPorts
software install changes owner and permissions.  If anybody has a
PowerPorts (or gets one in the future), keep this in mind.

--
Alan Denney  #  aland at informix.com  #  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

  Overheard somewhere in a bunker in Baghdad:
   - "Saddam, Sir, another bombing raid has hit the city!"
   - "Hmph.  Now we *really* know what that infidel Bush meant when
      he talked about the 'Thousand Points of Light'!!!"