Dell System V Release 4

Morris Forbes morris at hssiarl.uucp
Tue Jan 29 08:28:45 AEST 1991

I have, over the past few years, installed quite a few versions of
Unix on a variety of platforms.  These have included releases of
System V from Microport, AT&T, Intel, Bell Technologies, SCO, UHC,
and Interactive Systems.  Now, I have added the new release of System
V release 4 from Dell, and I am pleased to say that it was the most
trouble free installation (by far) to date.  Good thing - there is almost
no documentation shipped with it.....

The only real problem I found was with the installation of their TCP/IP
using a WD 8003E and tying to a thick ethernet drop through an external
transceiver.  The self configuration they have builtin to the system
does not appear to handle thick ethernet properly (they tell me it
works fine with thin).  The solution was fortunately simple - just
modify the wdn file in /etc/conf/sdevice.d/ and rebuild the kernal.
This overrides their self-configuration (and you have to determine
values that won't conflict with the rest of their self-configurations),
but seems to be a quick and easy thing to implement.  I am running on
a AMI 33mhz 80486 motherboard with a 600 mb SCSI disk drive and Adaptec
1542B controller, Dell's GPX graphics card (really a Renaissance GRX
card) at 1024x768 and a Wangtek 150mb cartridge tape drive.  Installation
was almost completely automatic and the system has been running for several
weeks now with no problems at all.

My hats off to Dell for this really clean package.  Now, if you'll just
ship a little more documentation with it ........

Morris Forbes
Manager, M.I.S.
Hughes Simulation Systems, Inc.

Standard disclaimers apply ..........