Wangtek drive questions

Alex Beylin alexb at cfctech.cfc.com
Thu Jan 17 01:23:27 AEST 1991

A few weeks ago I bought a used Wangtek tape drive, in anticipation
of using it with the Interactive system that was on order.  The
guy who sold it to me have lost the manual, but the deal was so good, I
could not refuse.

Last night I finally tried to install it in ths system - Tri-Star 486-25
running Interactive 2.2.  The board that came with the drive has a
block of 10 dip switches and three jumpers.  The jumpers seem easy -
one is marked IRQ and has the range of 2-7.  The other two are marked
DRQ and DACK and have range of 1-3.  I assumed that DEQ and DACK control
DMA channel and left it alone.

Now, the dips must control memory range, but with no info, i've decided
to leave that one alone as well.  At the moment they are set at
1101110100.

Installed the board.  The only IRQ that I seem to have open is IRQ2 -
kconfig complained about all others. (3=lp, 4=fd, 5=gendev, 6=kd,
7=fas).

Updated sdevice.d to read "wt Y 1 2 1 2 300 301 0 0"  (hoping the memory
range is right), rebuild the kernel.  The first attempt to access
/dev/tape got me a frozen console and unkillable process.

If someone out in the 386 Unix land has this device with the manual,
could you please send me a copy of SW-1 settings chart.  Any other
suggestions of what I am doing wrong will be apreciated.

Info from the controller board - Wangtek ASSY 30850-410,
				 Rom Revision - F29E-15/18/9
				 Label - WA2252

The drive is marked as Wangtek 5125FN, ASSY # 30337-102 Rev B.

Please let me know what I have here.

Thanks in advance,

-- Alex
   alexb at cfctech.cfc.com (...sharkey!cfctech!alexb)