14 character limitation in filenames

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 30 10:58:40 AEST 1991

In article <20711 at hydra.gatech.EDU> ken at dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>In article <290 at sps.com> arm at sps.com (Annette Myjak) writes:
>>can anyone explain why there's the 14 character limitation in filenames
>>(11 + 3 for extension) in interactive unix?
>
>Overcome in System V release 4.  It *can* be done in System V.3.2
>(Tektronix UTek V for the 88000 has flex-names and is 3.2 based).
>Noone has done it for the 386 that I know of.

ESIX V.3.2.D has the berkeley fast file system, allowing greater than
14 character file names.... but you don't want to use it because some
of the file system programs are broken.  Unless they've fixed them and
not sent out updates?

Kaleb Keithley                        kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

As of right now, I'm in charge here now...                  Alexander Haig.
Voodoo Economics, that's what it is, voodoo economics.      George Bush