Microport Unix SVR3.2 boot problem

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Mon Jan 14 13:03:38 AEST 1991

cirian at einstein.eds.com (Steve Cirian) writes:

[Must turn off machine for 10 minutes before rebooting unix]

>My speculation is this: Something is overheating (the processor, the hard drive
>                         controller?).  After it cools off, the system is OK.

Sounds to me like something is wrong with the cmos configuration for unix.   If
the battery is low/deadish, perhaps turning off power for 10 minutes allows the
battery to discharge enough that the cmos resets to some default values of some
sort and allows your system to reboot.  Then power being restored allows the
cmos to get changed back to some other values that prevent unix from being
booted?

Sounds crazy, but you *might* want to check your cmos battery.
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need