ESIX File System Selection

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Sat Jan 26 02:56:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.143542.19808 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>mdm at cocktrice.uucp (Mike Mitchell) writes:

>>I am having unexplaned system crashes where the machine will hang
>>while unattended. I am running ESIX 3.2 Rev D and leave the machine
>>on 100% of the time. I will return after a leaving the machine
>>for a few hours, and it will be hung. The drive light is on indicating
>>that some sort of disk activity was happening on or about the time
>>of the system crash.

>what type of controller?  I did have this problem on
>one of our machines last year (running 386/ix) with
>a WD 1006-SRV2 (1:1 16 bit RLL controller) and replacing
>the controller (actually returning it as DOA) solved
>the problem..

Larry's suggestion may be correct.  There is NO problem with ESIX.  I am
running a node with a full feed incomng and outgoing.   Runs just fine.
This past week in a news blockage, it moved about 12,000 messages in a
short time.

I am running the fast file system on the /  and on the news partition and a
51k file system on a third partition.

The ONLY problem I have had occured this AM.  Power failure did something
so that on a reboot it paniced and rebooted, over and over.

Put in the distribution disk 1, then 2 - it asked if I wanted a quick
recovery.  Said y, it then said reboot.  It save the old inittab, the old
passwd and the old shadow in addition to the old kernel, that was probably
corrupt.

At the boot I copied over a previously saved copy of a good kernel.

Total time - less than 10 minutes.   I have had some other systems that
weren't that easy to recover.

I suspect you have a contoller problem.  Running a WD1007 w Maxtor ESDI
here.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP