Fortran divide check crashes interactive '386

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Wed Jan 2 06:12:47 AEST 1991

In article <4983 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> rhl at grendel.Princeton.EDU (Robert Lupton (the Good)) writes:

>A colleague has a 386 running Interactive's unix, and the LPI fortran
>compiler. He reported that a divide by zero in fortran crashes the
>system, so I wrote a trivial C programme to catch SIGFPE --- it works
>fine. So I wrote a stub to set the handler from fortran, and now it
>works fine ONCE --- if you run the fortran a second time it still
>crashes the system.

When will people learn that problem descriptions of the form "crashes the
system" are about as useful to a support person as "the car won't run" would
be to a mechanic :-}!

Seriously, you need to be more specific, what happens exactly? Does the system
panic and if so what is the panic message or type? Also, what level of the
system is this? What type hardware, etc, etc...

In any case, sounds like a fairly serious bug. If it panics, sounds like a bug
in the ISC trap code, a user application should just get a signal, it should
never panic the system. Of course, one might ask what the hell someone is
doing a divide-by-zero for anyway :-}, but that isn't meant as an answer.

I think someone at Interactive should take a close look at this once you
provide some more detail. I also have crossposted this followup to sysv386
where it will definitely be seen. Good Luck!

Disclaimer: I in no way speak for my employer, and certainly not ISC :-}.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM