ESIX File System Selection

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine44.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 27 07:41:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan25.155639.388 at bilver.uucp> bill at bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:

[..some stuff deleted]

>I am running the fast file system on the /  and on the news partition and a
>51k file system on a third partition.

I use the BSD FFS on all my partitions (btw, long file names are relatively
safe for /usr and /use2. NOT for /)

>The ONLY problem I have had occured this AM.  Power failure did something
>so that on a reboot it paniced and rebooted, over and over.

Humm... I have encountered this too.  When the ESIX incarnation of BSD
FFS is used, this tends to happen.  Back when I was using rev. B, rebooting
without shutdown never caused any problem like panicing.  But rev. B does
not have FFS.  Any relations here?

>Put in the distribution disk 1, then 2 - it asked if I wanted a quick
>recovery.  Said y, it then said reboot.  It save the old inittab, the old
>passwd and the old shadow in addition to the old kernel, that was probably
>corrupt.
>
>At the boot I copied over a previously saved copy of a good kernel.

Yes, I have done the *almost* same.  In all cases that I have encountered, the
kernal was NOT corrupted!  I always could reuse the old kernal.  What I
did was just mv *.SAV to * (well, global renaming implied here) and
unix.SAV to unix and then reboot.  It works so far but I never understand why
the OS got in trouble earlier.  Any illumination would be appreciated.

>Total time - less than 10 minutes.   I have had some other systems that
>weren't that easy to recover.

I believe that.  It is always relatively painless.  (Except the first time!)

>I suspect you have a contoller problem.  Running a WD1007 w Maxtor ESDI
>here.

I use WD1007SVH w Miniscribe 3130E

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department