ESIX File System Selection

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 06:04:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.143542.19808 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

| what type of controller?  I did have this problem on
| one of our machines last year (running 386/ix) with
| a WD 1006-SRV2 (1:1 16 bit RLL controller) and replacing
| the controller (actually returning it as DOA) solved
| the problem..

  This sometimes happens with two drives on a WD 1006 or 1007 with
multiple drives. My understanding is that an i/o is started on one
drive while a seek is started on the other. If they both finish at the
same time a single interrupt is issued and the driver has to check the
controller status to get both conditions.

  I was told that ISC said it was a hardware problem and SCO just
issued the fix for the driver (xnx133). I have never seen the problem on
a machine with a single drive, nor a case where the SCO driver change
failed to fix the problem (five 1007s, two 1006s).

--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX