Help: SYSVR4 TTYMON hangs bidirectional line.

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Wed Jan 30 19:43:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan29.201326.8930 at rwwa.COM>
		witr at rwwa.COM (Robert W. Withrow) writes:
- I'm using a ASY port for outgoing and incomming service, on Intel
- SYSVr4v2.0, having set it up using the SYSADM screens.  Every
- once-in-a-while after an outgoing call, and always after an incomming
- call, TTYMON grabs ahold of the ASY port and won't let go!  UUCICO
- fails saying that it cannot access the line.  A ps -ef shows *two*
- ttymon processes (where there should only be one!) one of which is the
- child of the other one.  If I power cycle the modem (or disconnect and
- reconnect the modem cable) the child TTYMON process dis-appears and
- everything reverts to normal.

        I sat in on Dell's Sys Vr4 BOF at the Dallas Usenix last week,
and they commented that they have had no end of trouble trying to get
ttymon working on async lines.  They even stated that they recommend
using getty, which is still included on all dialup async lines.  Perhaps
the folks from Dell will offer us more...

        To add a bit more meat to this posting, the Dell BOF was quite
informative.  The developers from Dell were there answering questions,
and commented on the number of bugs that they found in the base line
sources from AT&T (b22, I believe).  But they also claimed (and I have
no reason to doubt this) that release 4 is much more robust that release
3.2.  Nearly all the bugs they found were in the BSD compatibility
routines.  One comment (paraphrased) was "I think the people who did the
BSD stuff had never looked at a BSD machine"

        After attending the BOF, and chatting with the developers at
Uniforum, I would have no problems running Dell in a production
environment around here.  And I plan on doing so in the near future.
Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		schnoebe at convex.com
	You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.