Help: SYSVR4 TTYMON hangs bidirectional line.

Robert W. Withrow witr at rwwa.COM
Wed Jan 30 07:13:26 AEST 1991

I've read the FM (and I mean FM ;-) ), and I've tried numerous
combinations of port service parameters, but I still have this
problem:

I'm using a ASY port for outgoing and incomming service, on Intel
SYSVr4v2.0, having set it up using the SYSADM screens.  Every
once-in-a-while after an outgoing call, and always after an incomming
call, TTYMON grabs ahold of the ASY port and won't let go!  UUCICO
fails saying that it cannot access the line.  A ps -ef shows *two*
ttymon processes (where there should only be one!) one of which is the
child of the other one.  If I power cycle the modem (or disconnect and
reconnect the modem cable) the child TTYMON process dis-appears and
everything reverts to normal.

I have tried various STTY settings for the port, diddling with the
wait-read count, fiddling the timeout period, and nothing seems to
help.  I suspece that it has to do with a variont of the old GETTY
wars, with TTYMON getting (say) an `OK' from the modem and getting
confused.

Has anyone had this problem, or gotten TTYMON to work correctly in
bidirectional mode?
--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA