Standard Time

John G. DeArmond jgd at Dixie.Com
Sat Jan 5 05:30:59 AEST 1991

martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:

>As a related topic: I've heard that there are some commercially available
>receiver boards for PCs that decode radio station which send time signals
>on long wave (in Germany "Sender Mainflingen" of the PTB). Does anybody
>have experience with such boards? Drivers for UNIX?

I don't know about an internal board but here at rsiatl, we have a
Heathkit "Most Accurate Clock" that receives WWV and decodes the 100 hz
data carrier and makes it available on an RS-232 port.  We have a small
Perl script that reads this data from the port and sets the system
clock.  Thus the timestamp on this article is WWV-accurate to within
a second :-)  Our script reports how much correction must be made
each time it runs.  A second a day is normal.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)