Help wanted to build system

Dave Lampe djl at dplace.UUCP
Tue Jan 29 14:10:20 AEST 1991

I am looking for help/advice on putting together a '486 unix system.
I have been working with unix systems long enough that I am comfortable
with the software, but I know little of the Intel architecture and
peripheral market. What I think I want is a 25 or 33 mHz '486 ISA bus
system with a large disk, 500 megabytes or so, at least a VGA color
monitor, and some sort of reasonable backup device (1/4" tape?), a couple
of serial ports able to keep Telebits feed and a parallel port for the
printer.

I definitely want a windowing system which probably means X. At least
SysV.3 and preferably V.4. I realize that I won't be happy for long
running X on a VGA monitor, but what I really want, 1280x1024x256 on
a 19" monitor, is probably out of my budget now. If possible I would
like to have a second controller for MFM drives since I have a 190 meg
drive in dplace that I would like to reuse.

Specifically what I am looking for is recomendations on specific hardware
to use, or avoid, dealers in the San Francisco bay area experienced
with putting together unix systems, or mail-order dealers with unix
expertise. I would prefer to pay a little more for a local dealer to
help me set the system up unless the mail-order dealer really knows unix
systems. If the recommendation is to put my own system together I need
to know where to get more information about unix, particularly
compatibility lists.

Thanks for the help.
--
Dave Lampe
{ames | lll-tis | sun | pyramid}!pacbell!dplace!djl