'386 Unix Wars

Buster Irby rli at buster
Thu Jan 3 15:52:14 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>In article <1991Jan02.133014.26506 at buster> buster!rli writes:
>>I do agree that free upgrades (read charges for copying and
>>shipping only) should be provided.

>Do you also believe that, say, Ford should give you a free car every year
>when they come out with the new model?  Why not?

No, but I do believe that they should offer to fix any mistakes that
they made during a reasonable warranty period, say the first 12 months
or so for free!  I am not against them charging reasonable copying and
shipping fees, just no profit should be made on bug fixes!

>Most upgrades have new "features."  While I will agree (usually 8-)) that
>bug fixes should be readily available (free or cheap), I don't thing new
>"features" should be free.

WRONG, most upgrades are just that, bug fixes.  Furthermore, ISC and
others won't even tell you that the upgrades are available.  For
example, there were six bug fix upgrades between version ISC version 2.0
and version 2.2.  How many people were aware of that?
These were strictly bug fixes, not enhancments.
--
Buster Irby  (buster!rli)