'386 Unix Wars

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Thu Jan 3 03:29:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan02.133014.26506 at buster> buster!rli writes:
>I do agree that free upgrades (read charges for copying and
>shipping only) should be provided.

Do you also believe that, say, Ford should give you a free car every year
when they come out with the new model?  Why not?

Most upgrades have new "features."  While I will agree (usually 8-)) that
bug fixes should be readily available (free or cheap), I don't thing new
"features" should be free.

>Also, there should be no
>charges when reporting bugs.

Now, here is something I completely agree with.  And I also think that
someonw who reports a bug should get the bug fix free (or reasonably priced,
depending on exactly what the "fix" is), if one becomes available.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."