Does uu/ungetty force S0=1 for dial out lines?

Bill Irwin bill at twg.bc.ca
Sun Jan 27 12:40:54 AEST 1991

I  have noticed some odd behavior on our SCO XENIX 2.3.2  system.
We have three modem lines:  2 are dedicated numbers and 1 is line
3  of our regular business number.  It seems the only way to  get
the   O/S   to  faithfully  put   the   LCK..ttyxxx   file   into
/usr/spool/uucp  when someone logs in on the port, is to have the
port  defined  in the /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file as  an  outgoing
modem line.

The two dedicated modems have been in the Devices file for a long
time,  but the one using the business line was not (because  uucp
never uses it).  I decided to put that port into the Devices file
so  the  lock files would work better for that port.   Also,  the
modem now disconnects upon log out.

The morning after I did this I noticed the modem answering line 3
on  our phones whenever it rang.  I have a script that runs every
15  minutes and determines if it is after hours it will turn auto
answer  on;   and  if it is business hours, turn  it  off.   This
always worked fine until I added the port to the Devices file.

Now,  running the script shows the AA light go out on the  modem,
but  after  a  few seconds (as the port is  enabled  again  after
talking  to  the  modem)  the AA comes back on  again.   I  tried
experimenting and found that if I changed the Devices dialer from
hayes2400 to direct, the AA light stays out after the auto answer
script  is  run.  Change it back to hayes2400 dialer and  the  AA
light stays on all the time.

Is  there  something about the definition of a modem dialer  that
makes  uugetty (or ungetty, whichever one is running) force S0=1?
I would rather it leave it alone and not assume that just because
a  port is defined as an outgoing uucp line and it happens to  be
enabled,  that  one automatically wants the modem to  answer  the
phone.

Sign me, puzzled.
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada