version3 -> version 4 drivers

Robert Adams adams at trim.intel.com
Sat Jan 26 08:30:46 AEST 1991

 article <1991Jan23.142540.8883 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry
Snyder) writes:
david at talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) writes:
>Will a System V3.2 driver link and run ok on System V4?
>If not what kind of changes will be needed?

I believe that SVR4.0 was designed to be binary compatable with SVR3.2
drivers but not source compatable (I find it scary to load a SVR3.2
tape driver binary into a SVR4.0 system and have it work).  The
source interface, though, was designed with change in mind.

Although close to the SVR3.2 interface, SVR4.0 has the DDI/DKI standard
device interface.  In the "Device Driver Interface/Driver Kernel Inteface
(DDI/DKI) Reference Manual", there is an "Appendix B: Migration from
Release 3.2 to Release 4.0" section that lists the old and the
functionally equivilent new interface.

        -- Robert Adams         adams at littlei.intel.com
                                ...!uunet!littlei!adams
Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and are not
     representative of Intel Corporation.