Net Hangs after so many ftp's

Ellis Carter ellis at epca.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 09:49:57 AEST 1991

I just installed TCP/IP under ISC 2.0.2  (I've had it for a year).  I find that
the system will hang up after a while of going in and out of ftp, rlogin, or
telnet.  I can do a netstat and find entries which show a (state) of TIME_WAIT.
I find that the more I use ftp the more I have of these entries.  For example,
if I transfer 5 files, I will have 5 entries with in this state.  This will
eventually slow down the system and the only way that I can remove them is to
do a powerdown and bring the system back up.  Occasionally I will get an entry
with rlogin, but for the most part it happens with ftp.  Everything seems to
work fine except for that (although having never had a net I do not know what
is fine and what is not).

If there is anyone who can shed some light on this problem, I would appreciate
a comment or two.  Thanks in advance for the help.  Please email all responses
to ellis at epca.wpg.com .