Sound driver ?

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sun Jan 27 11:11:56 AEST 1991

As quoted from <9101261221.AA11029 at iecc.cambridge.ma.us> by johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine):
+---------------
| Standard AT&T and ISC Unix have ioctl calls KIOCSOUND and KDMKTONE in the
| console driver.  They drive the low-fi PC speaker about as well as it can be
| driven without doing tricks that take over the whole machine.  You can play
| sequences of beeps of various tones.  SCO recognizes the calls but doesn't
| actually make any sounds.

...but documents that KIOCSOUND, at least, works.  Now I know why mgr wasn't
beeping....  I'm now glad I didn't get the cdiffs finished; I'll have to port
the kernel bell driver from Xenix (minimal, the startupcode has changed a
little --- it works as is, but spits out its existence even with verbose=no)
and put it back into the Makefile.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN