New results (was: Problem booting ISC 2.2 with AHA-1542B)

Adrian Wallaschek Adrian.Wallaschek at arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
Sun Jan 13 13:14:21 AEST 1991

nbladt at aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Norbert Bladt) writes:

>>Hi fellow netters !

>>I asked for help with my problem that ISC 2.2 won't boot on my 33 Mhz
>>386 system which had a AHA-1542B SCSI controller. Thank you for all the
>>mail I received. I tried everything suggested (and even more) but I can't
>>get it to work. However, I think I know the real source of the problem.

It's only an idea, but our ISC didn't run the install program properly
because we had a VIDEO-CARD with a TSENG-4000 installed, something in
the install program doesn't like the tseng-chip. This is expressed by
mostly destroying the install-disk (which must be writable!).

The solution is to replace the TSENG-4000-SVGA by a normal vga or ega or
Hercules card. Then install the ISC and change to the SVGA as ISC itself
has no problem with the TSENG-chip.

As I encountered this problem, I blamed the motherboard first, too.
But it really was the VGA! So if you have a SVGA you should try to
change the video equipment as well!

prefect
A.Wallaschek
Adrian.Wallaschek at ARBI.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE