New results (was: Problem booting ISC 2.2 with AHA-1542B)

Norbert Bladt nbladt at aut.autelca.ascom.ch
Thu Jan 10 01:55:25 AEST 1991

Hi fellow netters !

I asked for help with my problem that ISC 2.2 won't boot on my 33 Mhz
386 system which had a AHA-1542B SCSI controller. Thank you for all the
mail I received. I tried everything suggested (and even more) but I can't
get it to work. However, I think I know the real source of the problem.

I put the AHA-1542B and the disk (Micropolis 330 MB) into another 386
system (Motherboard is from the same company but runs with 25 Mhz instead
of 33 Mhz in the original system).
Now, guess what happens, it boots and I could install the core system on
it. As my dealer suggested I put the controller and the disk back into
the other system (33 Mhz) and tried whether it would boot from the harddisk.
It didn't.

So, I tried the 33 Mhz computer with an ESDI disk and the WD-1007 (?)
ESDI controller. ISC 2.2 didn't boot with this, too.

I exchanged the BIOS between the two systems (both have AMI BIOS and
the C&T chipset) but nothing did change, i.e. the system still didn't
boot !

Now, I will blame the motherboard (or its configuration).
I will compare the configuration (a few jumpers and the C&T chipset) and
I will report whether I had some success or not. So, for now, be careful
with the 33 Mhz AGC motherboard and ISC 2.2. It works perfectly with
the 25 Mhz AGC motherboard (cache version), though !

Thank you all for your help, especially with the hint, that no disk
should be entered into the CMOS-RAM if there is a SCSI disk in your
system.

I hope to report some success later,

Norbert Bladt.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14