SVR4: Intel yields to Interactive!

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.on.ca
Mon Jan 28 14:46:01 AEST 1991

In article <11885197 at bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>INTEL WILL TRANSFER ITS EXISTING SVR4 CUSTOMER BASE TO INTERACTIVE.
>Intel itself will continue ABI and architecture development.

>Interactive's SVR4 release will bundle "imaging, networking, GUIs,
>VP/ix, applications, and new distribution media such as CD-ROM."

>So, Intel rolls up its shrinkwrap UNIX efforts and tosses the ball to
>ISC.  I guess that's OK, but I hope the pricing stays reasonable.

I certainly consider this a Good Thing, since I thought that Intel's
conflict of interest in developing the generic port and also being one
of the resellers, was somewhat objectionable.

This brings up two questions:

1) What does the Intel move give to Interactive beyond just its
misearble market share? Does this leave Dell, ESIX, and even AT&T
at a *technological* disadvantage regarding the availability or
quality of the ports available to them?

2) What's left of Bell Technologies?

The Hub card is no longer being supported. The Blit is a historical
blip. And what seemed to be the last remnants of BellTech, its
shrinkwrap of UNIX for the 386, has now been abandoned with barely a
stab at the market. What remains of the Intel takeover?

Where are you, Dmitri?

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       evan at telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504