SVR4: Intel yields to Interactive!

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM
Wed Jan 23 20:18:23 AEST 1991

Like, wow.  Here's a paraphrase of a press release that just moved from
UNIX System Laboratories (USL).

USL and Intel named Interactive (ISC) a Principal Publisher of SVR4 for
the 386/486.  USL will give Interactive a standard porting base.  ISC
will market, package, sell and support SVR4 for Intel based platforms.

INTEL WILL TRANSFER ITS EXISTING SVR4 CUSTOMER BASE TO INTERACTIVE.
Intel itself will continue ABI and architecture development.

Interactive's SVR4 release will bundle "imaging, networking, GUIs,
VP/ix, applications, and new distribution media such as CD-ROM."

So, Intel rolls up its shrinkwrap UNIX efforts and tosses the ball to
ISC.  I guess that's OK, but I hope the pricing stays reasonable.