The INfamous inode bug

John A. Weeks III john at newave.UUCP
Sat Jan 5 16:49:11 AEST 1991

In article <43 at esacs.UUCP> pizzi at esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) writes:
>In article <PETE.90Dec25124943 at fidata.fi> pete at fidata.fi writes:
> > Is the famous inode-lost bug finally fixed in ISC 2.2.1 release? Or is it
> > still "a known bug"?

> Can someone please tell me about this bug? I am running 2.2.0 and would like
> to know if there is something I should be aware of. I never experienced
> bugs with file system till now.

Some versions of UNIX, even AT&T code, had a bug that caused the number
of inodes to suddenly become zero even though there were many unused.
Running fsck would restore the correct free inode count.  Heavy USENET
activity often makes the problem show up in the partition that holds the
news spool directory.  By the time one figures out that there is a problem,
it is too late--bytes fall on the floor because UNIX thinks the file system
is full.  This problem exists in ISC version 2.0.2.

-john-