how do you make backups on an Exabyte?

Ronald van der Pol rvdp at cs.vu.nl
Wed Jan 16 05:27:06 AEST 1991

I'm using SCO UNIX 3.2.2

I want to do the following:
- dumping on a 2.3 GB Exabyte tapedrive
- both full and incremental dumps
- many dumps on one tape
- should be done by cron every night in multiuser mode
- easy restoring
- should work with emergency boot floppy and root filesystem

Problems with the standard SCO utilities:
- find doesn't have an option to skip mounted filesystems
- backup(8) is only interactive (does it skip mounted filesystems??)
- no facility for multi dumps

My solution so far:
- I use GNU find. It has an -xdev option for skipping mouted filesystems
- find . -depth -print | cpio -ocvB > /dev/nrStp0   ??
- after/before every dump a "echo 'filesystem dumplevel date' > /dev/nrStp0" ??
- restoring by "tape rfm" (I have to carefully count the dumps :-( :-( :-(

Did you find a good easy useble solutions for making backups in SCO UNIX?

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp at cs.vu.nl>