Searching for X11 X servers for graphics coprocessor boards

Anssi Lensu lensu at lut.fi
Wed Jan 16 21:45:07 AEST 1991

I have got Santa Cruz Operation's Open Desktop Release 1.0.1 which only
contains an XWindow System 11 Release 3 X server for most EGA and VGA cards
with 16 on-screen colors simultaneously. Now I Would like to get more colors
and better resolution for my X11 screen and I've been looking for graphics
processor based cards, which would support X11 Release 3 or 4. Most of
these cards containing either IBM8514-compatible or Texas Instrments
34010 or 34020 processor don't have support for 386 UNIX XWindows.

These facts have led me to seeking either cards, whose manufacturer
provides an X11 Rel.3 server for SCO Open Desktop, like Nec Multisync
Graphics Engine/256 (server not available yet), or full source code for X11
Rel.3 or 4 X server for register level IBM8514 or 34010 DGIS, which I
could then convert to SCO ODT. I would be VERY grateful for all information
about such cards (resolution should be at least 1024x768 with 256 colors)
or names of machines connected to Internet from which I could upload X server
source code using anonymous FTP. I would also consider buying an X server
for ODT, if someone makes them (please send contact info).

Please send all information preferably using Email to lensu at lut.fi or,
if you can't send Email, reply this message or post the answers to
either sco.opendesktop or comp.unix.sysv386.

						Anssi Lensu
						lensu at lut.fi