What was, and is no more <was: '386 Unix Wars>

Richard Karasik richard at octel.UUCP
Thu Jan 10 13:03:12 AEST 1991

In article <194 at raysnec.UUCP> shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>
>	For a kick, you might want to review the charter issue of Unix/World
>(January, '84 as I recall) and see who was active and who wasn't. (Remember
>Onyx? Dual? Zilog?) Hewlett/Packard was releasing its first boxes. I had
>a close look at Plexus in mid '84... a nicely engineered box. To my
>knowledge, Plexus is still around, but works strictly on image processing.

I remember Onyx well - I was managing SW there until it was bought out by
Dorado. Arix is also ready to bite the big one. -So what is your point.
These companies had a good idea -A good idea, and couldn't really get the
SECOND good idea. Plexus came closest to transitioning to another good idea.

What about the thought that -proprietary UNIX iron has gone the way of the dodo
and so aside from a few humongous proprietary hwre companies, Unix iron in
order to run reasonable Unix (reasonable = at least as good as proprietary
hwre) is fast becoming a commodity item like DOS. Hence computer companies
-other than those biggies now in existence or chasing a niche
(like maspar, and a few others) will eventually wither.

Richard