SCO UNIX (3.2.2) 'ls' is broken... what a shame

Riccardo Pizzi pizzi at esacs.UUCP
Mon Jan 7 22:02:56 AEST 1991

>Now, why don't you tell us what country your in, and what your LANG stuff
>is set to?  Internationalisation, and all that, don't you know?  Not all
>countries or languages sort the way English does.  I am willing to bet that
>that's what your "problem" is...  (for example, in my /etc/default/lang, I
>have: LANG=english_us.ascii)

Well, I checked that file and found the following:

#
#	@(#) lang 1.1 89/06/30
#
#	Copyright (C) The Santa Cruz Operation, 1987, 1988.
#	This Module contains Proprietary Information of
#	The Santa Cruz Operation, Microsoft Corporation
#	and AT&T, and should be treated as Confidential.
#
#	Specification of system default locales
#
LANG=english_us.8859
LANG=french_france.8859
LANG=german_germany.8859

Now, why the f***ing installation script decided to set up the 8859
collating sequence? Do we expect to get a similar default behaviour?
I think *no*. The system asked me *nothing* about internationalization
during the installation.
Anyway, commenting out the above lines and adding LANG=english_us.ascii
solved the problem.
Thanks for the hints (damn locale stuff!)

Rick
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software, Rimini, ITALY
e-mail: pizzi%esacs at relay.EU.NET -or- root at xtc.SUBLINK.ORG