SCO UNIX (3.2.2) 'ls' is broken... what a shame

Riccardo Pizzi pizzi at esacs.UUCP
Tue Jan 8 00:33:06 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan03.143742.23436 at sco.COM> larryp at sco.COM (Larry Philps) writes:
>internationalization (I18N for short), practically everything is
>variable.  There are languages out there in which words are sorted by the
>*first vowel in a word* rather than the first letter.  Some letters have
>to be treated as 2, some strings have to be treated as a single letter.
>It goes on and on.  The whole thing is incredibly complicated.

Agree.

>Anyway, what you have done is set your default environment to
>english_us.8859, rather than english_us.ascii.  Thus you have asked for
>ISO 8859 sorting rules rather than ascii sorting rules, and are getting
>case independent sorting among other things.  I was also confused when
>this happened the first time.

Wait! I have *not* chosen explicitly the 8859 collating sequence.
SCO did it!! I think the correct default would better be 'ascii'.

>You can do lots of things to solve this (as is typical in I18N)

Well, thank you, a guy on the net already explained it to me.

>If anyone else out there has done any I18N programming

What does exactly I18N stand for?

Ciao

Rick
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software, Rimini, ITALY
e-mail: pizzi%esacs at relay.EU.NET -or- root at xtc.SUBLINK.ORG