Second parellel printer is slooooow...

Dag Erik Lindberg del at fnx.UUCP
Tue Jan 15 20:59:16 AEST 1991

We recently added a laser printer to a 386 system, which included adding
a second parallel port.  The port is extremely slow.  A graphics file
which takes 20 minutes to print with the printer attached to the original
port takes over 2 1/2 hours to print on the new port.

Details:  The original port showed up on /dev/lp2, the new port shows up
on /dev/lp1.  The original sdevice entry had only one line in it,
identifying port 378 with interrupt 7.  After the initial attempt to print
was so slow, I added the additional line below, for a port at 278 using
interrupt 5.  This made no difference in performance.  Here is sdevice:

lp	Y	1	3	1	5	278	27f	0	0
lp	Y	1	3	1	7	378	37f	0	0

What's going on here?  The print spooler won't even deal with this thing,
it keeps timing out and sending the banner page over and over again.  I
can only print anything by sending it directly to the port with 'cat'.

Thanks for any insight you can share.

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?