Remote file backups using Interactive NFS(cannot read all files)?

Jim Smithson jsmithso at aut.autelca.ascom.ch
Wed Jan 16 01:55:36 AEST 1991

I want my Interactive (IX 2.2) UNIX files backed up onto the  DAT tape unit
attached to our SUN server. I can export my NFS filesystems to the SUN server
but "root" on the SUN cannot read all the files(e.g. /etc/shadow). This is
because the Interactive Version of NFS assigns uid (-2 ?)"other" to all accesses
to the IX NFS filesys. The SUN allows my IX machine to have full access
(even as root) to selected exported filesystems with the following
syntax in the /etc/exports file:

/home			-anon=0,access=ixhost

Interactive NFS uses the following syntax in the /etc/exports file.

/	sunhost

We are using Interactive UNIX 2.2 with NFS 2.1.
Does NFS 2.1 support remote root access to an NFS filesystem?
TFM says "No SU Over the Network", but we had a similar problem with HP NFS
and it was solved by patching the Kernel to change the NFS User ID from -2 to 0.
Anybody know where to patch the IX kernel?
I tried the syntax used by the SUN between two IX systems, it did not complain,
but it did not work either. The `showmount` command does not complain either.
If I have several IX machines, does this mean I can't do a remote backup
from one tape drive? Do I have to buy tape drives for ALL my IX nodes?!
I suppose I can back up the 90% of my files which are readable by "other"
on the DAT and do a separate backup to floppy of the rest, but what a pain!

--
James R. Smithson	Ascom Autelca AG      CH-3073 Guemligen/Switzerland
E-mail: jsmithso at autelca.ascom.ch   FAX: +41 31 527 528  Voice : +41 31 529 214