Terminal Servers and Concentrators

Super user root at equinox.UUCP
Thu Jan 31 01:55:16 AEST 1991

In article <109 at astph.UUCP> bob at astph.UUCP (Robert Ford) writes:

>We are currently using multiport serial boards from Comtrol and Equinox
>to serve terminals (mostly Televideo 950s) to 386-based UNIX machines
>running ISC 2.2 UNIX.  The UNIX boxes are interconnected via ethernet,
>running TCP/IP.
>
>For the most part, we have been satisfied with the intelligent multiport
>serial cards, especially with their low cost per port (about $50/port for
>16 ports).  However, we have experienced some board failures recently that
>have undermined our confidence in their reliability.  Also, we are
>concerned about the number of slots they consume if we want to attach
>64 terminals to one box (not to mention the extra cpu load).
>
>--
>Bob Ford                           (814) 234-8592x36
>INTERNET: astph!bob at attmail.com     UUCP: attmail.com!astph!bob
>Philadelphia Phillies

Are you having trouble with the Equinox MEGAPORTS ? What kind of problems
are you seeing? Are the boards just 'dying'?

BTW, I see that you're ordering the Equinox Megaplex 96-port card cluster
controller. Glad to see that we had a product that suited your needs...

For a cheap terminal server, you might look at Chase Research. I don't know
the price on the server, but their serial cards are cheap. I used to work with
the guys who started the chase office in the US. They're nice guys--even
gave me a Chase T-shirt at Uniforum. Equinox sells a LAT Terminal server, but
TCP/IP isn't available (yet).

Give me or our technical support a call if we can help on the board failures
you've been experiencing.

Regards,

Wolf