ST1126+SUN-5231 with Interactive 2.0.1

Martin Schulte schulte at thp.uni-koeln.de
Tue Jan 29 02:49:59 AEST 1991

Hello,

on my AT386, I have a ST1126-SCSI disk with a SUN5231-Controller.
All DOS utilities (like Norton's diskedit) make me believe that the
ST1126 has 945 Cylinders, 13 Heads and 17 sectors/track.

When I boot ix/386 2.0.1, I'm informed that the disk has 1024 cylinders,
but only 12 Heads (1024*12/13 ~= 945). Installation works fine, but when
I reboot, the machine complains about missing Operating system.

With diskedit, I found that the Unix didn't begin on the sector where it
should be on the information of fdisk, so I changed the partition-table
by hand(with diskedit, certainly) and ix/386 booted and asked for the
core-disk, but died after I inserted the second one.

Additionally I had the problem that I couldn't convice DOS to boot from it's
partition on the disk !

What am I doing wrong ?
What are the correct parameters of the ST1126 (the "`manual"' doesn't
mention them) ?
Can 2.0.1 handle this disk correctly ?
How can I low-level format a SCSI-disk ( my dealer recommended to do so !) ?
Where can I find information about the boot-sector ?

Any help appreciated !

Thanks, Martin
Martin Schulte
Institute for Theoretical Physics