Additional IDE support? (was Re: Interactive 2.2.1 Upgrade)

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Thu Jan 17 08:16:02 AEST 1991

martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>
>>there is no "fix" perse in this latest release. Technical support stated the
>>following as the 2.2.1 fixes:
>[...]
>>	*  Additional IDE support for Seagate and Rodime
>
>I'm not sure I understand this.
>
>Weren't all the people telling all the time that an IDE device looks
>exactly like and standard disk controller (ST412/ST506) to the rest of
>the system?
>
>How can there be a necessity for `additional support'?

The problem is that IDE under MOST cases looks like an ST412/506 to your
system.  Case and point, Novell ELS Level I will not work with IDE (or at
least it's not certified to work).  It all depends on which IDE adaptor you
use and what drive you're using.

Another case and point, a friend of mine tried to fire up Microport SysV/AT
1.3 on an ALR PowerFlex, it didn't work.  Couldn't even partition the Seagate
ST157A under uPort.

Sure, it works most of the time, but it doesn't always work.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca