Modem programs wanted

Chin Fang fangchin at portia.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jan 17 11:19:41 AEST 1991

In article <13 at dobie.UUCP> fmiller at dobie.UUCP (Fred Miller) writes:
>amc at wlv.imsd.contel.com (Allen M. Cohen) writes:
>

>>Could somebody tell me where I can get a modem program.  I'm using ISC Unix
>>2.2, talking remotely to a BSD 4.3 Unix.  I'm interested primarily in down-
>>using Kermit, but I'd like to use Y-Modem-G or Z-Modem.
>
>>I've heard of a program called TELIX.  Is it good and where can I get it?
>
>Telix is *strictly* a MessyDOS application that (unfortunately) has *not*
>been ported to UNIX.

Recently there is one program written for SCO Xenix/Unix 386 called ecu
(I believe) posted in comp.sources.misc and is available from
comp.sources.misc/volume16 of uunet.uu.net.  You can either ftp it or
dial in and download it.

Yes, it is not written for ISC/ESIX/UHC/Microport..., but with these
vendors all claiming Xenix compatibility, potential porting effort should
be either nill or bearable.  The nice thing about this ecu program is
that it not only comes with good doc, but it also supports xmodem, kermit
ymodem(g), zmodem etc.. You name it. They are all built in unlike pocomm
you need to hook up the kermit (Sigh.. everyone should build in this) and
zmodem.

I am busy now.  As soon as I get some time, I will port it to ESIX and
I will give a short post about my impression in this group for those
interested.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department