RFS on 2.2

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Fri Jan 4 08:07:28 AEST 1991

I have a nagging nuisance that the collective net.wisdom might be
able to handle for me.  This site, ssbn, is running 386/ix 2.2
with NFS and TCP/IP.  A companion machine here is running 2.0.2
but it's so under equipped (only 4Mb, slow disk, etc.) that NFS just
swamps it.  The third machine on the network is an NCR Tower with
TCP/IP but without NFS, it came with RFS.

I installed AT&T's RFS (I bought the OS but don't use it) on dunsel
(the 2.0.2 box) and it gets along just fine with wrangler (NCR).  I
didn't want to risk installing ssbn since I use it every day and I
feared it might trash something I didn't want trashed.  Since dunsel
and wrangler got along so well I decided to install RFS on ssbn and
every time I start it, I get an immediate panic and dump.

I have legit licenses for RFS for each of the machines I want to
network, and poor old dunsel just doesn't have the suds to run NFS
(wrangler doesn't have NFS), so RFS makes some sense for me.  I
suspect that since ISC doesn't offer RFS any more, there is some
fundamental incompatibility here.  Has anyone gotten RFS to work
with 2.2?  If so, could you tell me what you did?  If need be, I'll
take ssbn back to 2.0.2 so I can use RFS but I'd rather not install
all over again.

Last obscure question...  Has anyone gotten a timeserver to work on
a 386/ix network?  It would be nice if all of the machines had some
similar idea about what time it is...  Please email, I doubt that
the answers to my question have very wide appeal.  Thanks!
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill