SCO UNIX 3.2.2 and Micronics 486

Michael Davidson md at sco.COM
Sat Jan 12 08:24:48 AEST 1991

In article <2839 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1991Jan3.195954.10767 at world.std.com> wmandrus at world.std.com (Wayne R Mandrus) writes:
>| After 'pushing' at SCO they in fact have a new boot program available
>| that fixes boot problems on 486 type machines (i.e. micronics). The
>| boot program did resolve my problem.
>  Let me say that ODT boots fine on Dell and HP 486's. That suggests
>that the problem is in the hardware, and SCO just found a way to get by
>it without breaking other machines.

The problem with the Micronics 486/25 is that the original memory sizing
code in /boot thought that it could detect the presence of a 4K page of
memory immediately above 16Meg (even though this memory did not in fact
exist). Unfortunately, memory sizing on machines with caches can be tricky
depending on precisely how the cache is implemented. The new version of
/boot avoids this problem.