g++ and esix (was System V/386 groff ...)

mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
Tue Jan 15 04:55:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan14.052050.4901 at zap.uucp>, fortin at zap.uucp (Denis Fortin) writes:
> In article <6888 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:
>>>Just as a matter of record, FTP sites are just about *non-existent* in Canada
>>
>>Then use the BITFTP server bitftp at pucc.princeton.edu.  It'll get it for you,
>>uuencode it and break it up into mail managable sized uuencoded chunks.
>
> But keep in mind that doing humongus "bitftp" transfers when you are a
> uucp site without a direct link to uunet might be seriously
> anti-social!

I would sincerely love to use a service like bitftp, but one of the college's
upstream sites (namely the University of Calgary) selectively filters out
mail to and from bitftp.  Nasty bit of censorship I think.  They do it to keep
their net-traffic load down.  (Which in my mind doesn't justify such
censorship; they could just as easily ask people to voluntarily refrain from
using it.  Most people would comply.)

But getting back on topic -- has any one with Esix Rev. D *successfully*
compiled g++?  BTW: success does not mean a clean compile.  I can get those.
But the compiler will not compile libg++.  Which, of course, is a pre-req for
compiling groff (I am trying to compile g++ 1.37.2 and groff 0.6).

Mike Hoffos
mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
(Mount Royal College is a community college in Calgary, Alberta)

Disclaimer:     Mount Royal College doesn't speak for me, and I *certainly*
                don't speak for it.