The INfamous inode bug

Leroy M. Dorman dorman at chiton.ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 8 08:38:14 AEST 1991

In article <5685 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com>, jgd at Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
> pizzi at esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) writes:
>
> >Hmmm... I'm running ISC 2.2 from 3 month now (I've ran 2.0.2 for about
> >one year without problems) and I'm spooling a *lot* of news every night
> >(about 1,5-2 Mb).
> >I didn't notice anything strange with my filesystem.
> >Are you sure it was not a problem with your hw?
>
> ...stuff deleted here....
> --
> John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)

There are other things which can look like the "inode bug".
I was pretty sure I was having this problem with SysV3.0
on a Multibus I machine and anxiously awaited SYSV3.2.
The symptoms were that the filesystem would become
corrupted at times of heavy disk activity (like compiling
Unix from the source code) leading to loss of many files
and, occasionally, irrepairable damage to the filesystem.
The problem was ultimately cured by removing the Maxtor
SCSI harddisk from the peripheral bay of the Intel 320
and putting it in a separate box.  The problems went away.
--
LeRoy M. Dorman		Scripps Institution of Oceanography, A-015
University of California, San Diego	La Jolla, CA 92093-0215