DOS under UNIX

David Van Beveren dvb at emisle.uucp
Thu Jan 17 08:41:19 AEST 1991

In article <1903 at diasonx.UUCP> mark at diasonx.UUCP (Mark Quattrocchi) writes:
>I'm sure this question has been hashed over many times before here, but since
>I'm new to the group I get to bug you all just one more time asking my silly
>question.
>
>I want UNIX. I also want to be able to run DOS programs under UNIX. I have used
>the Miroport UNIX with DOS Merge but when running games or other programs that
>like to use interrupts/timers/etc., the entire box would just hang. Rebooting
>UNIX is no fun since it takes a year to fsck.
.
.
.
VPIX and Interactive Unix seem to work for me.

I have a related question. My primary HD has three partitions. Two are the DOS
primary and secondary ones, 32MB each, and the third is a 140MB Unix partition.
How can I get at the dos partitions from unix. I know this is possible, since
I once used a system in that configuration, and it was set up before my eyes
by an ISC salesman. I want to access the files from unix, not VPIX.

I tried dossette, and it tells me (when I say c:)
	'unable to open device /dev/rdsk/0p0'

Accessing the dos hard disk from within unix has to do with the /etc/partitions
file, as well as /etc/fstab, but I cannot find docs as to how to modify the
files. Help is appreciated.

PS Hard drive is Conner 3404 (3402?) 200MB IDE jobber. Works great, ammost
   silent and tiny (3.5" half height)

dvb

David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb at ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb
voice: (818) 587-1247