System V Version 4 (Intel vs. others)

Scott Evernden scotte at applix.com
Sun Jan 20 14:44:26 AEST 1991

Can anyone supply me with information about Intel's ultimate plans for
their Sys V.4?  I've been evaluating the docs for the Intel product for
a couple of weeks and I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't stack up
well compared to UHC and maybe others.  I understand that Intel is still
in the "beta" (aka version 2.0?) phase, but I want to know:

1) is XWIN 11.4 planned?
2) is more device support planned (tapes, SVGA, etc)?
3) OpenLook 2.0 and/or Motif 1.1?
4) Combined X11/News server (ala UHC).
5) Visix or X.desktop, maybe?
6) cost of DOSmerge, MAN pages, Motif

Other questions:

1) What set of display adapters are supported.  It appears that EVGA
(extended vga - 800x600) is handled for a few boards, but there's no
clear statement about SVGA (super vga - 1024x768).
2) Can I use a non-SCSI tape unit in a SCSI-disk system?  The docs
imply no, or else aren't clear.
3) (Why the heck is V.4 documentation so goddam expensive?  Did I
read something about AT&T/Prentice-Hall plans to corner this market?)

My impression is that UHC offers many of the items mentioned above
already.  About the only virtue of Intel's offering thus far that I can
figure is their price is attractive.  Programmer's Connection was selling
Intel V.4 unlimited for $1350 or so, and this *includes* printed document
(no online docs, tho).

I guess I'd look at DELL V.4 more closely, except I don't have a 150Meg
drive, and it's not 100% clear to me yet that they will support non-DELL
hardware users.

-scott