Unix Support or lack thereof (Re: '386 Unix Wars)

John G. DeArmond jgd at Dixie.Com
Tue Jan 1 12:10:51 AEST 1991

tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>>product than both of the Unix vendors put together.
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>While I agree with John's comments wholeheartedly, I just want to point
>out -- puleeeeeez -- that SCO and ISC are not "THE" UNIX vendors!

Sorry about that :-)  However, look at your list:

Everex,  	No, it's a performace dog plus I don't like the "no docs"
			approach.  Probably a good hobby system.
Dell		Don't know - will it run reliably on non-dell hardware?
Intel		You gotta be kidding.  "Intel Support" is an oxymoron.
UHC			Don't know about these guy.  Any good?  How does it compare to
			ISC performance-wise.
AT&T        You gotta be kidding on non-AT&T hardware.  "AT&T support" is also
			an oxymoron.

The other problem is that most 3rd party vendors don't support much other
than ISC and SCO.  If you contact most hardware vendors, they seem to supply
device drivers only for these 2 versions.  I'd love to see the situation
change and would be willing to go out of my way to help a vendor but as of now,
only the 2 leader are supported for the most part.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)