Unix Support or lack thereof (Re: '386 Unix Wars)

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Tue Jan 1 17:57:49 AEST 1991

In article <5568 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd at Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>

>>While I agree with John's comments wholeheartedly, I just want to point
>>out -- puleeeeeez -- that SCO and ISC are not "THE" UNIX vendors!
>
>Sorry about that :-)  However, look at your list:

>Everex,  	No, it's a performace dog plus I don't like the "no docs"
>			approach.  Probably a good hobby system.

I'm running Esix V.3.2.D and it seems pretty fast to me.  Haven't been able
to bench it against others as I don't have others.  A comparable IBM80
running Xenix and MCA bus that lives about 4 feet away is faster in some
areas, and slower in others.   You can get docs, and the PH docs are
cheaper and identical to the regular docs.  You get about 500+ pages that
are specifice to the Esix implementation.  The FSS seems more responsive
than stock SysV file systems.

>UHC		Don't know about these guy.  Any good?  How does it compare to
>		ISC performance-wise.

Hey - I don't about their V.4 on a '386, but I saw their V.4 running on one
of their own machines last June and it was FAASSTT!   Of course it was a dual
processor box with an i486 coupled with an i860.
Like Everex and Dell they mfr both hardware and software.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP