sh and csh scripts (SCO ODT 1.0 with SCO Unix 3.2.1)

Colonel Panic aland at informix.com
Wed Jan 30 10:02:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan25.195557.25955 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>In article <8836 at star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp at cs.vu.nl (Ronald van der Pol) writes:
>>	The whole world is using '#!', so SCO decided to use ':' instead.
>Uhm... sorry.  ':' as the first character of a bourne-shell script is the
>*only* portable way to get to run under bourne shell.  And the whole world
>is *not* using '#!'.

It was my understanding also that '#!' worked only for BSD.  In BSD,
you can say '#!anything', not necessarily just shells (e.g. awk scripts
run great by saying '#!/bin/awk -f').

Now, the bonus question: is there an analogous directive for setting
up a C shell script that will work in non-BSD systems ('#!/bin/csh'
doesn't cut it in SVR3)?

--
Alan Denney  #  aland at informix.com  #  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Cut the crap, Camel Boy, or the 101st Airborne drops down your
  chimney and feeds you your own socks."
- From Letterman's  "Top 10 Things Overheard at the Baker/Aziz Meeting"