Whats the difference between Adaptecs (1542A/B)

Steve Ralston sralston at srwic.UUCP
Tue Jan 8 16:20:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan5.045321.1799 at sp90.uucp> sanand at sp90.uucp writes:
>>  Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and 1542B
>>  SCSI controllers is?
>>  Kevin W. Rudd
>>  Sequent Computer Systems
>
> I am not sure of all the differences, but the major one is that "B" has
> a floppydisk controller, "A" doesn't. I run the "B" with a Maxtor, so far
> (touch wood) no problems.
> Sanand.

BzzzT, Wrong!  The Adaptec 1542B is a later rev of the 1542A; they both have
a floppy controller interface.  The 1542B is a smaller, 2/3 length board
(probably has more surface mount chips) than the 1542A full length board.
The 1540B (and 1540A) are SCSI *only* boards (no floppy controller) that
you're probably thinking of.

I believe the 154xA and 154xB are, otherwise, functionally equivalent.
Hopefully, if Roy Neese (neese at adaptex) is watching he will respond with
the technical low-down on any differences.
--
Steve Ralston						sralston at srwic.UUCP
235 N Zelta						voice: 316-686-2019