VPIX compatability questions

Daniel A. Glasser dag at gorgon.uucp
Sun Jan 6 13:52:29 AEST 1991

I'll let other people address the software questions, but I know (from
trying to figure out how to do it) that in order to use something like
a full page scanner (like the HP ScanJet Plus) which uses DMA you need
a driver that gets built into the Unix kernel which cooperates with the
DOS driver and/or program.  If the device just uses shared memory and/or
(if I remember properly) interrupts, there is a way to tell vpix and
the OS to let the DOS device drivers/programs access the hardware registers
and shared memory ranges.  It is in the manual but not that easy to
understand.

I hope this helps.  I also hope it is correct.
--
Daniel A. Glasser                       One of those things that goes
dag%gorgon at persoft.com                  "BUMP! (ouch!)" in the night.